Friday, July 6, 2018

DIY Home sign

Okay, I kind of felt like a criminal after this one, I did some scanvanging for this project!
Our neighborhood isn’t quite finished yet so one night while I was walking Kygo (my dog) I noticed a stash of “garbage” which was actually a goldmine of wood! So I may have taken a few pieces. It was for a good cause, right?🤷‍♀️

I started with this splintery piece of wood, that happened to already be cut perfectly for the size I wanted, thanks construction workers, you da real MVP’s!
and just did some light sanding on it to remove any dirt and pieces that were splintered off. Then I did a coat of Minwax in the color Jacobean (which I had left over from a previous project) PS Jacobean is my favorite color I literally want to redo everything in my home with it!

Anyhow, while the stain was setting I went to Michaels, where I found the letters, they were on sale and I had a 20% off coupon! These are thin wood letters which I planned to hot glue so I didn’t want them to be too heavy!

Once my stain was dry I lightly brushed and distressed the piece with some ivory chalky paint which I also used to paint the wood letters! The wood was pretty rough so I did really light streaks with a paint brush then scrubbed with an old rag and sanded off some to make it look more distressed

After the paint was all dry I hot glued my letters on and had some extra paper twine I added!

Easy project! If I didn’t include my trip to Michaels this literally took me a half hour! I’m putting mine inside, however it would look awesome on the porch too!!
Happy crafting 😊


No comments:

Post a Comment